From:
David Vanderstel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:59:48 -0500
I have found the recent exchanges about working in the university or the
museum to be most
interesting since I have worked in both spheres.  However, I must note that
I "fell" into the
museum field by chance -- or possibly out of desperation.  I was finishing
my Ph.D. in 19th century
US history with a specialization in immigration studies when I began to
realize that jobs were very
scarce.  In the late '70s/early '80s, my academic institution, like others,
did not provide the guidance
about what one could do with a history degree since they were not in tune
with such developments
at the time.  Naturally, one would receive a Ph.D. and find an academic
position and teach.  When no
academic jobs were available, my advisor recommended that I look into an
"alternative" occupation in
museums or historical societies, where one of my colleauges had just found a
job.

When I landed a position as a historian at a midwestern living history
museum, I intended to remain only
a year or two, during which time I would continue to search for that elusive
academic position.  But, I quickly
became excited about the great potential that I, as a historian, had to
teach a much larger audience.  I soon
realized that the research that I did, the staff training that I conducted,
and the public programs and exhibits
that I assisted with all had an impact on more people in one season than
what I would encounter in a lifetime
of teaching in the classroom.  This form of "public history" truly excited
me and I quickly realized that more
individuals, especially professional historians, needed to have a similar
experience.  Since then, I have been an
advocate for more professional historians working in museums.  As a result
of the public history movement
which began in the late 1970s, an increasing number of individuals with
Ph.Ds have indeed moved into the public
arena.

While working at the museum, I kept one foot in the academic world, teaching
part-time at the local university,
just to keep myself fresh and to stay in touch with students.  Now, I work
full-time at the university, participating
half-time in an urban research center and half-time administering a national
professional organization.  I do not
regret the opportunity that I had to work in a museum for 8 years.  In fact,
it opened my eyes to the great potential
for teaching larger and more diverse audiences, and exploring different ways
of teaching--through public programs,
exhibits, curriculum, roundtable discussions, book chats, etc.  The history
job market remains tight today, and one departmental
position may bring several hundred applications.  On the other hand, there
seems to be an opening of opportunities
within public history fields, such as historical societies, museums,
government agencies, businesses, etc.

 I would strongly encourage individuals who are thinking about a degree in
history to consider public history-related
fields of study, such as in museums.  There is a need for good historians to
work in areas that affect the wider public
and to nurture a stronger appreciation and understanding among that
audience.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss more fully career options in the
field with any individual off list.

David G. Vanderstel, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Council on Public History
425 University Boulevard - Cavanaugh 327
Indianapolis, Indiana  46202-5140

317.274.2718
317.274.2347 (fax)
http://www.iupui.edu/~ncph