From:
"BRENINGER, Leah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:05:00 +1100
henry Grunder wrote

                            **USUAL DISCLAIMERS**
I have a great idea to bring closure: why don't we just ship
all the live ammo to the Russian con-man?

Thanks Henry you gave me my best laugh of the day (on a day when I
sorely need one I might add - my database is having a hissy fit with
me).

I think people have a right not to be addressed in a manner they deem
offensive or inappropriate, or even mildy irritating. As names and forms
of address are quite personal, appropriatness is in the judgement of the
target. If somebody thinks, for example "sweetie pie" is an appropriate
address for me and I don't and I have let them know this I think it
would be good manners on their part to desist from calling me this.
However when it comes to addressing unknown people or groups you can't
be expected to be up to speed on their individual preferences. So
perhaps the  most appropriate, and polite approach  would be "you can't
please all of the people all of the time - but you can try and not
offend". This is the use of gender neutral language - you won't get
everything exactly right  but you will cover most of the bases and not
upset anybody. A worthy aim when you want to foster good communication.
If I knew something might upset somebody and I could avoid it at no
great cost to myself (time, effort or integrity wise), why not do it.

I'll just adjust my asbestos sceen saver for the flames from the people
who find gender neutral language irritating. (like I said - you can't
please all of the people.....)

Shall we move on

Leah Breninger