From:
Sarah Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 11:28:11 -0400
I have resisted this thread because I have my own personal prejudices,
but this comment is one I needed to respond to.

I think that the concept of conservative Christians and Young Earth
Creationists and a fringe population is incorrect. In reading the NYT
article, I was struck by not only the sophisticated design, but also the
number of mainstream artists, designers, and technicians involved in the
creation of the museum. Their ranks include many highly respected and
highly educated people. In fact, I think you would find that the group
includes some of your colleagues and other museum staff - although I
suspect many are "in the closet" about their beliefs at work.

Additionally, as a museum with a dinosaur exhibit in the heart of the
Midwest, we see a great deal of visitation from Young Earth
Creationists. The groups do not avoid us as a secular institution, but
visit just as anyone would. In fact we have had a some visitation
specifically to refute our displays. But for the most part, visitors who
do not believe in evolution merely interpret the labels to their
children with the disclaimer that "this is what the museum says, but not
what we believe."

My views about the museum are my own, but I caution against dismissing
the museum as a place appealing only to a fringe group. 3 of 10
Republican presidential candidates stated that they do not believe in
evolution. The Pew research center shows that 42% of the general
population does not believe in evolution at all. And of the 51% who do
believe, only half of those believe that evolution occurs through
natural selection. This is not a fringe belief, but something firmly
rooted in American culture.

Sarah Cole
Special and Temporary Exhibits Manager
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis