From:
G Dare Me <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:06:20 EST
We are currently using a digital camera for documentation. We now have the
capability of photographing all loan objects as well as documenting packing
and crating because of this.  Before we only had access to a Polaroid camera
and professional photographers.  Additionally, we are using our digital camera
for damage reports and collection documentation.  We are putting the images
into our database, and it has been very successful, but time consuming.

I suggest you think about purchasing a camera which uses a disc as the storage
medium.  We have found this very convenient, as it negates the need for
serial-port transfer and also provides instant first-level backup.  Through
experience we have found that you can fit 25 to 30 (640x480) images per disc.
The files are saved as standard JPG files so you may also pass the disc to
anyone else who has the capability of opening JPG files.  This has not
happened yet, but we are hoping that in the future we will be able to assist
researchers with this.

Our camera also uses a lithium rechargeable battery instead of alkalines. This
gives us about 110 minutes per charge, with no memory (a la ni-cad).

Also, recently we purchased a inkjet color printer which has enabled us to wow
our Director and other staff members with same-day printed output. Although
cost is relatively high compared to straight text output, it is much less
expensive than either Polaroid single-shots or prints from
negative/transparency. And we have not even tried the special glossy photo
paper yet.

Good Luck!

Rose Wood, Registrar
Geoffrey Dare, Assistant Registrar