From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 11:05:21 -0400
I have often wondered how long "admission free" art museums will be able to
stay that way.  Being owned and operated entirely by government has
advantages and disadvantages.  The tradition of free admission to government
or university museums seems limited to those exhibiting art; history museums
and others owned by government must often charge what the market will bear.

With admission-free museums around the corner, it must be difficult for the
non-profit ones to finance alternative approaches to exhibiting, education,
etc.

In this day and age, perhaps 75 years after Virginia established the first
state art museum - with an as yet unchanged policy of free admission -
aren't governments questioning this kind of investment?  Sen. Helms and
Mayor Rudy certainly put in their two cents!

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net