Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 12:20:35 EST
To Marge Kuhlmann and others...

I have a somewhat contrarian view of corporate memberships at the Oregon
Historical Society, driven partly by my MBA/private sector background and
a recent study we performed.

We had a team of volunteers from the local Harvard Business School alumni
group do a study for us to help design the "corporate membership
product".  My feeling was that before we created a huge schedule of
benefits I wanted to know what the "customer" wanted and valued.

What we found surprised us.  Even though all our peer organizations have
elaborate benefits grids (which are expensive, awkward, and
time-consuming to manage), and we "tested" a large number of potential
benefits with prospective and current corporate members, businesses
basically told us they didn't make their "purchase decisions" based on
the benefits.  They give based on the perceived value of the cause,
versus their resources available for giving.

They did seem to value benefits that accrued to their employees
(free/reduced admission, special events), and they valued public
recognition of their generosity.  But all the other possible benefits,
awarded at various giving levels, weren't important to most businesses
(of course, each benefit had an attraction to a small number, but not to
very many).

I concluded from that information that we were wasting our time and
resources trying to create a benefits structure to "compete", and we were
better off focusing on the real message--the value of our institution and
its programs to the community (with employee benefits and recognition as
the only enhancements).  This tack also has an advantage in reducing
quid-pro-quo tax deductibility issues.

That means that campaigning for corporate members must usually be done
with personal calls, either by board or senior staff members, that the
focus is on the value of the institution (not the value of the benefits).
 We are still considering sweetening the pot with benefits that are good
for us, too (such as a free facilities use--which will get more newcomers
into the Oregon History Center).  And I believe the best pitch is one
tailored to the history of the business--a pitch we as a historical
society are uniquely able to make.

I hope this helps.

Ted Kaye
Director/Development--Oregon Historical Society