From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:00:37 -0700
--- Chris Noessel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi. Does anyone know where I can find standards for determining the reading
> level of a given body of text? For example, if you want to write label copy
> that 4th graders will understand, what is the accepted vocabulary list? I am
> not looking particularly for 4th graders, but for a general resource for all
> reading levels. Thanks!

Oooh, depends on what book company you are working with. They are all
different. Your best bet is to write copy like you normally would and then let
a K-12 educator edit it down. (Hmmm...like me for example. ;) Or find a few 4th
graders and run your copy past them. Have them hold up a finger for each word
they don't know. If they get to 5 fingers in a paragraph, then that selection
is over their reading level. That doesn't seem like much but take 5 words
randomly out of a paragraph and see how much sense it makes then.

You could also get a book on a "4th grade" level from several different
companies and compare them to get an idea of how you need to write. Librarians
would be a good resource to get reading lists for different grade levels.

Good luck!!

Deb