From:
Robert Vosburgh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:30:21 -0500
Did your auditors point towards a specific IRS Reg., publication, or ruling?  I don't believe that the determination of whether an item is immediately consumable is dispositive.

IRS Publication 598 specifically reads, in part, "Eating facilities in the museum help to attract visitors and allow them to spend more time viewing the museum's exhibits without having to seek outside restaurants at meal time. . . . Thus, the museum's operation of the eating facilities contributes importantly to the accomplishment of its exempt purposes and is not unrelated trade or business." (p. 4)  It seems to me that the same rationale could be used to support selling water and snacks.

IRS Publication 598 also provides examples of items in a museum shop (p. 6), with no reference to consumption.

It would interested to learn what source or precedent your auditors are using vis a vis the consumption issue.

-Robert Vosburgh, Jr.