From:
Jenny Rosenzweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:14:00 -0400
The Upstate History Alliance is pleased to announce that it will
offer Collections Management 101, an online course, through its
Distance Learning Program again!. UHA is currently accepting
registrations for this course which will begin on October, 29 2007.
Only a few spots are left, so register soon! For more information, or
to register, visit www.upstatehistory.org/services/
OnlineLearningCommunities.html, or call UHA at 800.895.1648

Collections Management 101 is designed for staff and volunteers at
small and mid-size organizations. Course materials are designed to
help you focus on your own organization, with assignments relating to
real-life issues and problems.

Topics to be covered over a twelve week period include:

     • Mission & Ethics
     • Accreditation
     • Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act
     • Collections Managment Policies
     • Disaster Plans
     • Collecting Plans
     • Deaccessioning
     • Reproduction Rights
     • Accessioning
     • Registration
     • Security
     • Storage
     • Preventive Conservation Measures

Comments from those who completed the course:

"This course was helpful in recognizing the best ways to do
deacessioning and I learned from the experiences of others"

"The course gave me skills for implementing change in our collections
policies and procedures"

"Fabulous sites and resources are available on the web for
collections care; we now have highlighted awareness"

The course will begin with an introductory week on October 29, 2007
with formal instruction beginning on November 5th. This year, we will
take a break 6 weeks into the course in mid December and will resume
for the remaining 6 weeks January 7th. The course concludes on
February 15, 2008. The only course requirements are a familiarity
with basic computer programs, including email, the internet, and
downloading pdf files and a high speed internet connection.

The cost to participate in Collections Management 101 is $150 for UHA
Members/$250 for non-members.