From:
ilona biro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:22:32 -0500
In Oaxaca don't miss the Rufino Tamayo Museum. Tamayo was a well-known
Mexican painter who objected to the way museums treated archeological
artifacts. Tamayo was a collector of precolumbian art and wanted to have it
presented as art, each piece getting the attention it deserves. He created
this museum in his hometown of Oaxaca to celebrate the works in his
collection with the same respect as one would works of art. Well worth
seeing, in addition to Monte Alban. If you go to Mitla, at the turn-off that
takes you up there from the highway you'll notice a small restaurant/hotel.
It is where D.H. Lawrence stayed when he came through here on horseback
while writing The Plumed Serpent. It is worth having lunch there for the
great atmosphere as well as the small museum of local (Zapotec) artifacts.
There are a lot of fine incense burners and other items. Have lunch here (I
recall the food being terrific) and don't miss trying their mezcal liqueur -
basically mezcal mixed with honey and lime juice. It's incredible.

ilona

>I am planning a trip to Mexico, primarily Mexico City, Oaxaca and Guanajuato
>provinces, in early March.  I have followed the other Mexico threads with
>interest.  Does anyone out there have information about museums or
>interesting places in the Oaxaca and Guanajuato provinces?  I have guide
>books, but I find museum folks are often the best guides.  Thank you!
>
>Helen Alten

Ilona Biro & Jeff Silverstein
67 Brunswick Ave
Toronto