From:
Amy Scrivner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:54:06 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 6, 2002

CINCINNATI MUSEUM CENTER “CIVIL UNREST” NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED

Civil Unrest: Voices of Our Community, a 2001 temporary exhibit built by and exhibited at Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal, has received an Award of Merit from the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH).

AASLH’s Award of Merit recognized Civil Unrest as a national model for state and local history. An annual award, the Award of Merit, is granted for excellence to a program that has been compared with similar programs in North America.

“Cincinnati Museum Center aims to foster understanding of our community’s past, present and future,” said John Fleming, vice president of Museums. “For Civil Unrest to be nationally recognized as a valuable resource to our city and our state is a tremendous validation of our organization’s goals.”

Civil Unrest was displayed from July 21 through October 21, 2001 in the Arts Consortium of Cincinnati: African American Museum located in Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal. The exhibit provided a unique perspective on civil unrest throughout Cincinnati’s history while encouraging continuous dialogue in Greater Cincinnati.

The exhibit was planned, produced and installed in 90 days in partnership with the Arts Consortium. Civil Unrest contained three sections – a history of civil unrest in Greater Cincinnati, a multi-media collection from Cincinnati’s events in April 2001 and a display of current and future community programs to promote peace and justice.

Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal is home to the Cincinnati History Museum, Cinergy Children’s Museum, the Museum of Natural History & Science, the Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX® Theater, and the Cincinnati Historical Society Library. Originally built in 1933 as the Union Terminal train station, the building was renovated and reopened as Cincinnati Museum Center in 1990.

###

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Katie Moser, Marketing Communications Manager
Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
1301 Western Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45203
voice:  (513) 287-7055
e-mail: [log in to unmask]