From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 10:09:26 -0500
Timothy and all early professionals,

It is actually a little difficult to answer such a question, as it varies
from institituion to institution, and professional to professional.

It is definitely true that any experiences as a full-time employee with
strong responsibilities will be critical elements on your CV, as will your
degrees. Part-time and volunteer work is also valuable. However, in my
experience, you can easily pidgeon-hole yourself. Lots of experience in a
specific area will tend to force you to lean in that direction. If most of
your experience is non-collection, then you might have difficulty moving in
that direction.

Collections care tends to be a different creature than other elements of
museum work, and the knowledge is very specialized. If you want to work in
collections care, then I would suggest finding a way to involve yourself
there in some way. Even if you stay in your current position, see if there
is a way to help out in that department, and learn those ropes as well. As
long as you can demonstrate interest and competence in an area to a
prospective employer, then it will not matter as much that your position
was not directly responsible for collections care. Over all, a broad range
of experience will be more attractive at the early stages of your career,
than a very focused CV. Unless you already aspire to a specific type of
position, you should try to acquire knowledge/experience from all areas of
museum practice.

All that said, if you are certain, based on your current experience and
understanding of the field, that you want to be in collections care, then
switching positions as available would probably be in your best interest. I
would also say, do not give up your current position until an equitable
collections care position is open, since you are still gaining experience
that will be valuable.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Timothy Wade
             CNS.FSU.EDU>                                               To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       A question for the list

             05/22/2004 09:16
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Perhaps I can start a new thread to occupy everyone's minds.

I currently work in an Art and Science Museum, and I will have a degree
in Historic Administration/Public History. My area of interest is
collections management, and I eventually want to work in that field.

At my current position, I am Visitor Services/Volunteer Coordinator for
my museum, and have, in the past, worked in the education department as
well as assisting with exhibit installations.

I've always felt that ANY museum experience looks good on the CV for
future employment. My question is as follows: is that true? Could I spend
my time more productively at another job and volunteer at a museum in the
area I want to work in? Is my time in this position valuable to my future
career?

Any comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).