From:
Lorene Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 1994 14:40:54 -0600
Can anyone on the list advise as to what sort of door ornamentation (if any)
a home might have in honor of a deceased family member during a funeral in
the 1860's? Would the door be draped or covered in black crepe, and would
there be a wreath--either covered in crepe or appropriate foilage?

Our community is holding a service in honor of a Confederate soldier whose
body has been exhumed locally in order to be returned to Texas to be
re-interred with his family. The remains will lie in state in the Old
Governor's Mansion prior to the funeral. Owners of historic homes
surrounding the Mansion want to pay tribute to the occasion with appropriate
displays, and we would appreciate any information.

Lorene Flanders   [log in to unmask]
Russell Library
Georgia College
Milledgeville, GA