From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:49:52 -0800
Particularly, if you have a museum primarily operated
by volunteers, the last thing you want to do is anger
or upset these volunteers. And, titles are a lot
cheaper than paychecks, particularly if you cannot
afford the paychecks.

Since apparently this situation has gone on for a
while, has there been any major problems? If it is not
broken, do not try to fix it!

I would assume that most of these volunteers check
their e-mail, at least a few times a week. If not,
then you could suggest that their e-mail be directoed
to a "receptionist" until they are available to check
it.

Likewise with telephone calls. If there is a call to a
volunteer's extension, and the volunteer is not  in
the building, a "receptionist" should be able to take
the call.

Now, this is all assuming that you can afford a
"receptionist" for these extra duties. If you cannot
afford such a receptionist, then your museum is so
small that the public will just have to understand
that the museum's meager resources have to be
allocated according to the highest priorities in
fulfilling the museum's mission.

gaw