From:
Erik Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 22:05:38 EDT
Hello folks
I would like to inform the list (those who care) as to what happened at my
museum regarding the decision to impose monthly random drug screens on
employees.  I decided that I was against this policy so I did what I could to
fight against this action.  First I wrote a letter voicing my disapproval to
our CEO, I attached all the letters that comprised the debate from this
newsgroup.  Some of you made some very valid points.   I also called about 25
of the largest science centers in the country to get an idea of how many have
these policies.  I found only one OMSI that has a similar random policy but
was told that it has never been implemented, a few others had pre-hire and
suspicion testing.   I informed our company that it was setting a president
in our industry and that many older institutions did not feel that testing
was necessary for museum employees.  Unfortunately I changed no ones mind
about the subject and the test is scheduled to begin this month.

Now for the good news... this action forced me to search for new employment
and I have been hired as a preparitor for our local art museum.  It is a
better paying position although not as creative as I like.  Although I am sad
to leave the science center, I am glad that I will be able to keep working in
the museum industry.  I know of several others that are looking for new jobs
because of the company's policy.  I hope that this trend does not continue in
our field, it is an unnecessary invasion of people's private lives, one that
causes division between staff and administration.

Thanks again for your letters concerning this matter.
Regards,
Erik Myers

Museum-L" (without the quotes).