From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 11:26:50 -0400
The drug testing question has opened up an interesting dialogue that K.
Boardman has extended into all aspects of an employee's health.

We all have employees/friends/family whose lifestyles may be jeopardizing
their health and therefore the quality of their work.  I smoke cigarettes,
and have for nearly 45 years, ignoring all medical and other advice to quit.

As employers, we encourage them to take the initiative to resolve these
lifestyle concerns - and we have access to programs that might help them.
We have no right to require them to participate, however.  There are those
who reject medical science and will not see a doctor.  They have that right.

If their work performance suffers because of some habit, and the habit is
'legal,' the law seems to define them as "handicapped" or "disabled" and we
get into the issues of disability leaves, insurance, etc.

Illegal drugs are illegal.  Period.  Whether or not they are used only
occasionally, and recreationally, they are illegal.  Drug screening is the
only way to prevent their use from becoming disabling.

On the one hand, it is an invasion of one's privacy to insist that he begin
a free wellness program to lose weight, gain strength, etc. and also to
monitor it.   Can you imagine being told to step on the scales every day
before starting work?   It is legal to be excessively overweight, and if we
provide smocks or costumes for our employees, we're required to make them to
fit that person.

On the other hand, drugs are illegal.  To those who "don't use," they
threaten addiction, crime, irrational behavior, etc.  To those who "use,"
they are fun things to play with but not habit-forming.  Managers who "don't
use" will never see these substances as harmless, but only threatening.  It
is no invasion of privacy or body to verify that employees are not potential
jail bait.

And it certainly is a shame that employers are having to move in this
direction.  I much prefer the old-fashioned trust in one's judgment and
sense of responsibility.  Those were the days when contractual agreements
were based on a handshake and a promise.  Now we require enormous
documentation for every purchase we make, every consultant we employ, every
organization we serve.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Tazewell VA