From:
Felicia Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 16:20:18 -0400
Many museums are moving to using nitrile gloves exclusively.  We use cotton
or powder-free nitrile gloves depending on the circumstances. We use gloves
for most types of objects except certain stone pieces and glazed ceramics.
As Jill says, nitrile gloves are better for things like basketry with
snag-able surfaces and for slippery objects.

The problem with nitrile gloves (or any of the "surgical" type gloves, for
the matter) is that your hands get hot and perspire in the gloves.  This is
a real problem for me as it aggravates my eczema and makes me fairly
miserable.  I have found that wearing thin cotton gloves inside the nitrile
helps this problem.  Double gloving works ok in most circumstances, unless
you are picking up very small objects like beads, for example.

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/19 3:10 PM >>>
We have been advised to use nitrile gloves for our basketry collection as
cotton can snag on the fibers.  I imagine they would be good to use for
any
kind of woven, snag-able surface, and they do provide good traction for
slippery things like ceramics.   We get them at medical supply stores.
Honestly, I hate them because my hands are hot, but I am learning to live
with them.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art