From:
"Fonda, Suzi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:43:03 -0400
Nicholas,

Please re-read Deb's post about teacher hours.  The oft-repeated canard that
teachers only work 180 days per year is patently false.  I come from a
family of teachers and have worked with teachers very often in my museum
career, and I can tell you that a great deal of that off-time is spent on
professional development, curriculum writing, tutoring, grading papers, etc.
Teachers also don't get down time as many of us do in our jobs.  They are on
the go the entire time they are in the building, not even having time to go
to the bathroom.

However, if you want to insist that teachers only work 180 days, then I
would look more closely at your analogy of minor league baseball players.
Their season is even shorter than a school year.  Ah, you'd say, they need
to spend the off season perfecting their skills, weight training, etc.
Well, so do teachers.

Yes, some teachers do make more than we underpaid museum professionals, and
typically have more job security, thanks to a good union.  And we can spend
a lot of time debating exactly how much more they do make.  But to counter
your example you can give of a teacher making $90K in Westchester County
(not a cheap place to live, BTW), let me tell you about my father.  My
father taught for over 30 years and never cracked $60K in his school system
in stereotypically affluent Connecticut.  He spent many of his weekends and
summers doing tours for the National Guard so that I could go to college and
grad school without taking out huge student loans.

I also wanted to address this quote: "In some communities, such as inner
cities, teachers earn so much more than the folks whose kids they teach that
a strong class and perceptual gap helps to detract from effective teaching."

Couldn't you say that about many professions?  Couldn't you say that about
people who work in the medical field?  Or social work? Couldn't you even say
that about the museum field?  Do you really believe we should cut teacher
pay so they can relate to their students better?

I refuse to begrudge teachers any of the money we pay them.  These teachers
are educating our children -- our future -- and many of them work damn hard
to do it.

I apologize for getting on my soapbox, but teacher bashing really gets me
angry.

Best,
Suzi
---
Suzi Fonda
Project Coordinator, Teaching American History Grant
Maxwell Library, Room 312
Bridgewater State College
Bridgewater, MA 02325
508.531.2166