From:
Suzanne Katzanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 06:28:09 -0700
Hi Museum-Lers...

I apologize for those of you for whom this is a repost, but my new
exhibition opens next week in Las Vegas and I heartily invite you all to
the opening, virtually or physically...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: SUZANNE KATZANEK
http://home.earthlink.net/~yetilvft/

"Under Other Circumstances: The Gold Well Open Air Museum"
to be subject of exhibit at the Contemporary Arts Collective gallery

OPENING RECEPTION, FRIDAY AUGUST 16 7-9 P.M. AT CAC

It's an art museum unlike probably no other in the world - in a deserted
mining town, gathering dust in the Nevada badlands where the Mojave Desert
overlaps the Great Basin.

But the haunting and provocative three-dimensional art standing guard under
the skies of Rhyolite, Nev., will be the subject of "Under Other
Circumstances: The Goldwell Open Air Museum," an exhibition that will run
from August 16 to September 27 at the Contemporary Arts Collective Gallery
in Las Vegas.

"Under Other Circumstances" will feature the work of Belgian artists Albert
Szukalski, Fred Bervoets, Hugo Heyrman and Andre Peeters, along with those
of Nevada artist David Spicer, co-curator Suzanne Katzanek said.

These artists have artworks of monumental proportions in a ghost town, with
works that include "The Last Supper" by Szukalski, Bervoet's "Tribute to
Shorty Harris," Peeters' "Icara" and "Lady Desert" by Heyrman. The outdoor
museum, a concept more commonly found in Europe than America, is located
about four miles east of Beatty, on Highway 374.

The exhibit will include models, color photographs and schematic drawings,
a full-length video and other documentation on the creation of the artwork.
It will also feature additional paintings, drawings and computer animation
by the artists, work not often seen in this country.

A catalog featuring photographs, artists resumes, and a map to the site
will also be available.  An on-line catalog is available on the World Wide
Web at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~yetilvft/.  The exhibit is available after
October 1, 1996 for other venues at a modest rental fee.  Contact the
Curator at [log in to unmask] or (818) 845-7266.

Szukalski will attend for an opening reception on Friday, August 16 at 7 p.m.

This exhibition is an outgrowth the Save Outdoor Sculpture! project, a
project of the National Institution for the Conservation of Cultural
Property, the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American Art,
and the Nevada State Council on the Arts. Katzanek was Southern Nevada
coordinator of the project and surveyed more than 100 pieces of outdoor
sculpture, few of which were as unique as those featured in this
exhibition.

The Contemporary Arts Collective gallery is located at 304 East Charleston.
Call (702) 386-0999 for gallery hours.

Suzanne Katzanek
Director of Development
California Museum Foundation

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers"--Blanche Dubois