From:
Ivy Strickler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 10:46:26 -0400
>>Date:    Fri, 17 May 1996 03:33:05 -0400
>>From:    CinqD <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: I want to know about smll museum.
>>
>>Hitoshi Yamamura,
>>
>>I work at a small museum, Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society,
>>Buffalo, New York, USA.  The museum was established in 1863, our
>>collection has approximately 100 thousand artifacts and 150 thousand
>>library items.  We have 14 full time staff members (40-50 hours per week),
>>4 part timers (17 hours) and 50-75 well trained volunteers.
>
>Hello all,  my question is this...  What is the general consensus as to the
>criteria for calling yourself a "small" museum, a "medium" museum, or a
>"large" museum?  We have 3,000 artifacts (including books and documents),
>one full-time permanent staff member, 1 full-time temporary staff member, 2
>temporary half-time staff members, and occasionally a university student
>will volunteer a few hours.  We have a one room gallery of 1,324 sq.ft.

Hear, hear! We have approx 7,000 objects, at least 7,000 costumes, a
permanent display room approx 60 x 30 plus cases in other locations, and
run (limp?) with one part time director and a handful of volunteers and
work-study students.

Ivy Fleck Strickler                     Phone 215-895-1637
Drexel University                       Fax 215-895-4917
Nesbitt College of Design Arts          [log in to unmask]
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Never forget that life is like a Fellini movie, and you're getting to see
it for free=8A"