From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:40:25 -0400
On 9/1/06, Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Should the applicant indicate that s/he would be willing to take a lower salary
> just to get the job?  Or should the hirer simply offer the salary to the
> applicant and let the applicant decide if it's right for them?  So many
> factors are in play.

Ugh!!! I hate playing the salary game and think there should be a law
that job announcements must state up front the salary ranges and the
qualifications for them. (i.e. if there is a higher salary for more
education or experience).

Is it too hard to put a salary range on job announcements?
Corporations don't do it because they want to get people for as low as
they can get away with. Museums usually have strict salary
requirements because of lack of budget so it's easier to state them up
front and just skip over all that dancing around about it during the
hiring process.

Having a clear salary range stated up front from the museum will
automatically weed out people who are not willing to work for that
salary. Thus you can assume that anyone applying for the job knows
what it will pay and will be willing to work for that amount of money,
regardless of what their current salary is. People who try and talk
salary when it is already stated up front can be shown the door.

Something this simple would make the hiring process so much easier and
save time and money for both parties.

Deb