From:
Katie Edlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:18:48 -0700
The Deer Valley Rock Art Center provides access to its database via the
internet.
http://www.asu.edu/clas/anthropology/dvrac/research.htm
The page entails preselected queries that were saved as HTML in Access.
This was the simplest way I could put the database in the public domain.
The tables themselves are rather large and the medium didn't facilitate
ease of use.
I will be writing Active Server Pages (ASP)  in Visual Studio 6.0 so
that people will be able to make there own queries of our database in
the next few months.  Similar to when you query a online catalog such as
a university library or Amazon.
IF you make the decision to put the information on the internet, know
why you are doing it, and make it appealing to your audience.  One the
short comings of our database is that pictures are not linked in the
queries.  Part of this is because the pictures weren't a part of the
original database and also because we are going to be rephotographing
the site (hopefully in the next year) and I don't want to do the work
twice.
Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.
Katie Edlebeck
Deer Valley Rock Art Center
Arizona State University
ph. 623/582-8007
fax 623/582-8831

Janice Klein wrote:
I would like to hear from anyone (particularly in the Midwest) who has
put

> their collections database on their web-site or otherwise provided
> public
> access or who is contemplating do so or who has thought about it and
> decided
> not to.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).