From:
Claudia Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:28:04 GMT
Richard Fields asked how long to fill a job from advertisement to
starting the position.  I have read some of the responses, and my ex-
periences have been quite different.  For instance, three years ago, I
applied for a job at the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania, and
I am still waiting for that call about an interview!  (Yes, she's naming
names--are you out there?)

I have also been notified within two weeks that I didn't make the initial
cut.  Then there have been all sorts of variations in between.  You need
to follow up after a reasonable period of time if you don't hear--especialy
if you are currently unemployed.

To all of you hiring officials out there:  You already have a job, but when
you don't have one, a month is an eternity.  It would take all of three
minutes to dash off a note to your candidates, letting them know where
you are in the process and when you expect to make a decision.  It is not
the vast period of time it sometimes takes to find out whether or not
you got the position--it is the deafening silence that rankles!  If there
are going to be significant delays in the hiring, let the candidates know.
And, if there are applicants that are patently unqualified, let them know
right away too.  There is no need to keep everyone hanging on, when you are
interested in just a few people.  If things don't go as you wish, just
reopen the position and hope you get more qualified candidates the next
time.

I guess you have struck a nerve.  I have gone through this, and watched
unemployed friends go through it. It is not pretty, and basically
unnecessary.

Claudia Nicholson
Curator of Collections
South Daktota State Historical Society, Pierre