From:
Ware Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:57:20 -0500
Candace,

As for a cultural reference, the Smith home features a lawn jockey at the
end of the front walk in Vincente Minelli's "Meet me in St Louis" (1944).

We do not have any at the McFaddin-Ward House. We do have a painted plaster
mask of an African that was in their entrance hall of their prior Beaumont
residence 1895-1906. Interestingly, a similar figure is in the entrance hall
of the Smith home in the same movie.

Not a direct reply to your request, but I hope it is of interest.

Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
McFaddin-Ward House
Curator of Collections
725 Third St.
Beaumont, TX 77701
www.mcfaddin-ward.org
409.832.1906 p
409.832.3483 f

The McFaddin-Ward House is currently showing the exhibit "Moving In," which
illustrates how the McFaddins first moved in to their new home at 1906
McFaddin Avenue in January 1907. Call 409-832-2134 for tour information.