From:
"Sandra L. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 12:34:28 -0700
Bill-

I grew up in St. Louis where the river is the basis for many of my best
memories- from riding to the top of The Arch to look out over the
riverbank, remembering barges frozen in the ice, to spending time on the
landing in old shops, bars & restaurants (for Catfish!) and finally
spending a summer working on a riverboat which cruised up and down the
Mississippi all day and night.

I recall also the problems like the fateful day the Jet Ski ran out of gas
and I had to tread through the good old Mississippi MUD/muck hoping to
avoid the Copperheads lurking around. Of course the flooding  in the past
few years put me in awe of her ultimate abilities to destroy as much as she
creates. Even though I was away, videos and clippings of the aftermath and
resulting community efforts summed up living with the river so well.

There is a sense of cycle, of history, beauty, and power all at once which
to this day I run to whenever I'm there..... I spent 4th of July there this
summer- fireworks shot from barges over the river is a sight unmatched!

Hope this is what you had in mind...

Sandra L. Harris
Arizona Capitol Museum
1700 W. Washington