From:
Meghan McGinnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:41:03 -0400
Hi, I thought someone on the list might be able to help.  We have a stone,
mostly granite, fireplace, constructed in 1914 that recently sustained some
damage.  When our new HVAC was installed, one of the units was vented
through the chimney which led to condensation forming inside the chimney.
This caused some sort of sappy substance to leach through leaving stains and
damaging the patina.  As this damage is very visible and inside the house we
would like to restore the chimney's appearance if at all possible.  We've
already fixed the venting problem (by relocating) but can't figure out how
to remove or at least reduce the staining and restore the patina.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meghan McGinnes

Hiwan Homestead Museum