From:
Jennifer Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 13:21:43 -0400
We had a live performance take place in the drawing room of our historic house museum during January and February.

We contacted a local playwright to establish a script, which was approved by our "board," and then he found the actors. They were all considered contracted workers, paid by a base salary.

It worked quite well. We charged a small fee for the play, which took place in the evening, after the museum closed.

We found, however, that it was necessary to consistently remind the actors that the objects were not to be touched/handled and that food and beverages other than bottled water with a closable lid were allowed in the museum.

Other than that, it was a great success!

Jennifer M. Lane
Executive Assistant, Public Relations Coordinator
Rockwood Mansion Park
(302) 761-4340

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/18/04 12:48PM >>>
Does anyone have any good stories to tell, advice to give, or
references for information on the best way to incorporate live
"performances" (such as dramatic readings, or small-scale musical
performances) into museum exhibitions?

Specifically, what's the best way to go about staffing such a thing
(utilizing sources outside of the museum itself) and what sorts of local
acting troups or resources are ideal contacts?  Are university drama
departments the best route?  What are the logistical concerns for
doing this sort of thing?  Etc...

-Bill