From:
Michael Cahall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:37:09 -0400
Dear Julie:

        In terms of Duquesne University's Archives, Museum, and Editing Program,
our certification process is for individuals who already have a masters
degree (usually in history) and want to get further training in the areas
covered by our program.  These students do not have to take the history
courses required of our degree candidates.  The certificate can be earned
in a year's time.

        I hope this clears up the difference for you.

                                Sincerely,

                                Mike Cahall

At 10:27 AM 7/11/01 -0400, you wrote:
>   Good Morning-   I've seen many posts to the list that  mention a
>"certificate" in Museum Studies. I had never heard of this before. Can
>anyone please explain the difference between a certificate and a degree
>such as  a MA? I'm guessing that the former takes less time to acquire. Do
>many  universities offer a certificate now? Also, do the employers out
>there have an  opinion on the issue when it comes to interviewing and
>hiring a potential new  employee?   Thank you-   Julie Clark Dairy Barn
>Cultural Arts  Center
Michael Cahall, Ph.D.
Department of History
Duquesne University