From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 1994 00:02:49 -0600
First, I'd like to thank all of you who have responded, and continue to
respond, to my inquiry about involving descendants of plantation residents
in the public interpretation of plantation life ---

I wasn't going to send anything else to the net on this issue until I
finished compiling the results of my query, but have decided to respond to
a recent posting by Carol Ely in response to a posting from Ellen Schwartz

>From Ellen Schwartz:
>> This may not go anywhere, but last year there was an event at Monticello
>> that brought T. Jefferson's descendents, white and black, together.  This may
>> have only been a one time thing, but considering the discussion that
>>continues
>> about Jefferson and his slave mistress, they may be pursuing a more long term
>> interpretation, including continued dialogue with the parties involved.
>> Ellen Schwartz

>From Carol Ely:
>Wait a minute, here. You so casually refer to "Jefferson's
>descendents, white and black" and "Jefferson's slave mistress"
>as if this were established fact, which it definitely is not.
>The event at Monticello brought together descendents of the
>plantation, white and black, not necessarily Jefferson's
>personal descendents. Monticello does not take a position for
>or against the claims of Jefferson's relationship with Sally
>Hemings, which is still very much an open question among
>Jefferson scholars. The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation,
>owners of Monticello, are actively moving towards a more
>inclusive presentation of plantation life, especially including
>the experiences of African-Americans as slaves.
>
>Carol Ely
>Virginia Discovery Museum
>Charlottesville
>(no affilation with Monticello, just an interested bystander)

I think that the above postings are evidence of why  it is so important to
maintain a currency between the "public" interpretation of history and
"scholarly" historical and archaeological research -- and they also could
be read as evidence of the need for  more involvement, on the part of
academics, in mass media/public relations issues.  I have no idea whether
or not Ellen attended the event discussed, or whether she heard about it
via mass media or some other source.  I received several other private
messages with similar information as that contained in Ellen's post.
Carol Ely seems to be criticizing (this is not a flame, Carol!)  Ellen's
well-intentioned message --- which I regret, because I was happy to receive
Ellen's info in the positive spirit in which I believe it was intended.  I
was also happy to receive Carol's clarification of what actually happened
at Monticello vis a vis the event in question.  But I don't think that
Ellen was being "casual", but, rather, that she was communicating what she
believed to have been a true representation of the event.  Even if she
heard about the event from museum/professional sources, it still shows how
a public event or interpretation can be filtered/changed/ etc.  depending
on who's doing the telling and interpreting. Along the lines of the "seven
blind men and an elephant" story and "the Rashomon effect".

Until I started researching this field two years ago, I had no idea that
Monticello did not take a position "for or against the claims of
Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemings", and I also did not know that
it was "still very much an open question among Jefferson scholars".   I
thought  that the Jefferson/Hemings relationship was a matter of so-called
historical "fact".  What I  "knew" was what the general public "knows" ---
not what the scholarly community *thinks* that the public *knows*.  Or
should know. My misconceptions were corrected when I visited Monticello and
asked lots of questions --- not before.  And, I might add, the whole issue
of  Jefferson and his slaves is something that has only been addressed by
Monticello in more recent years, as a result of the hard work of  many
people -- archaeologists, interpreters, historians, "interested
bystanders", and others.  From what I understand, a lot of folks resisted
dealing with it directly for a very long time.  Kudos to those who are
pushing in the right direction now.

It's great that Monticello is "actively moving towards a more inclusive
presentation of plantation life", and I hope that someday the foundation is
 willing to take a position on the Hemings question.  But, thanks to both
Carol and Ellen, and keep the info coming!

Carol McDavid