From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:40:36 +0000
I do not know the legal issue of hiring someone for a trial period at a set amount, so I would suggest you speak to a qualified HR person in your area, but every job I have ever had in field had a 90 day provisional hiring process.  Anytime during those 90 days you could be terminated for nearly any reason.  This was to allow them to make sure you can do what you say you can do.  At the end, there is usually a review, which might include areas to improve, etc.

I personally would think that 2 weeks is too short of a time.  Depending on the job and its responsibilities, it could take that long for someone just to become acquainted with your policies, procedures and collection.  Additionally, you would be asking someone potentially to leave another position with no guarantee of anything beyond 2 weeks.  Who would agree to that?

As for background checks...you should always do a criminal background check. A national check is the best but those are more expensive.  I would advise that you do not just check your own state or area, but also the applicant's previous states of residence and employment.

As for financial background checks, I personally do not think so.  Just because someone may not have the best personal finances does not mean they would ever do anything unethical or illegal with the collection.

You should do good reference and past employment checks.  These can be tricky so find out what you can and cannot ask of a reference and figure out what you need to know.

Also, learn to read an application for misdirection, overstatement and gaps.  If they change jobs a lot or have not worked for a long period, you should be asking why.   If they come in and out of the field that could be a warning sign, but in these hard financial times that could just justified.  Look out for short employment or project with a ton of "experience" since this often is a sign of overstatement.

I like to interview all candidates with a panel of 2-3 staff members.  This includes both phone and on site interviews.  This will give you several perspectives, a sense of how they get on with folks and how well they do under pressure.  Make sure in the interview you ask some harder and not the usual expected questions.  This will make the applicant think and you will start to see cracks if they are not qualified.  I always prepare about 10-15 questions (in writing) that are vetted by HR that include both the expected, unexpected and situation responses so I can get a good feel.

Hope this helps.
Tracie