From:
Kathrine L Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 08:54:57 -0500
On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Stephen Nowlin wrote:

> Sally-
>
> The premise of your dissertation sounds right on.  Illuminated by you
> ideas, it is interesting to observe that in the rather grueling world of
> museum directorships, where primarily male directors do battle with
> trustees and hunt and capture huge sums of donor money, the salaries tend
> to be much better.  The discrepency between compensation levels for
> directors and curators (directors sometimes earning five times the amount
> of a curator) could be seen as mirroring the tradional male (hunter,
> breadwinner) and female (housekeeper) roles.  A talented and experienced
> curator is likely as hard to find as a talented and experienced director,
> and each is integral to the success of the museum endeavor.
>
> It might be an interesting component of your research to find out if in
> fact the director/curator compensation discrepency is as great as I believe
> it to be.

What about the difference in salaries between educators and curators!
I've been curious why a two jobs with Masters degrees required don't pay
the same?  Does this have something to do with the curators domain being
largely male (I know this is changing) and the education domain being
largely female?

Kathrine Walker