From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:48:03 -0500
On Jan 24, 2008 2:20 PM, Karen Eckhaus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My take on it...
>
> After the care taken to transport them, being told what delicate shape
> they're in and being asked to put on curatorial gloves, Oprah SHOULD have
> had the sense to know that they shouldn't be flung around!

EXACTLY!!

A quotation from the transcript of the show:

Oprah Winfrey: "Can I touch them? Am I allowed to touch them?"

Dr. Glass: "No, you're not allowed to touch them. But if you, you uh-"

Oprah Winfrey: "So glad I asked. I saw everyone with gloves on - you
have to touch them with gloves on, right?"

[Oprah picks up gloves]

Dr. Glass: "Uh, well, yeah, I don't even touch them with gloves on…
but, well, uh-"

Oprah Winfrey: "I just want to touch them."

---------------------------
Oprah is being a bossy celebrity and using her media skills to
bulldoze over a curator who is out of his league. I'm sure he was
nervous being on national TV next to a big star and tried to steer her
away from touching them as best as he could. But geez woman, if the
curator who flew the objects to your studio in a special box with
armed guards says "No," ya think he has a reason?

I think in situations like this, museums should have speciality
trained "media curators" who have experience speaking on camera and
dealing with celebrities. It takes a special skill to tactfully put
your foot down when it comes to handling your objects as well as the
ability to think on your feet and disarm celebrities who want to touch
objects or play around with them while on the air. They also need the
authority to say "I'm sorry but you either broke our conditions or did
not meet them for having our objects on your show and therefore we
will not allow you show them on the air." You also need a good PR
department to spin that in your favor.

No media coverage is worth endangering or damaging priceless objects
nor should curators have to put up with media celebs who think they
can play around with national treasures just because they have gloves
on. I didn't have much respect for Oprah before and I certainly don't
have any respect for her now.

Deb