From:
Felicia Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 02:29:16 -0400
David Haberstich wrote:

For what it's worth, I recently had lunch with an administrator of the
museum: he not only was quite unaware of the depth of our non-American
collections, but expressed the opinion that the entire Smithsonian
Institution should be "American" and that museums of African art, Asian art,
and other non-American subjects don't "belong".  I find this a curiously
parochial, if not jingoistic, view.  I forgot to ask him if he felt that the
pandas in the zoo should be returned to China.

Gee David,
That is indeed a depressing story.
I would hope this person might come to know that right next door to the
Museum of American History in the National Museum of Natural History there
are significant collections from the King of Siam (yes, the one in the
musical), Japanese artifacts given to Commodore Perry when he went to Japan
in the 1850's, artifacts from all over the world ... though especially from
the Pacific ... gathered on the U.S. Exploring Expedition of 1838-1842,
artifacts excavated by Schliemann at Troy .... I could go on but this is
just what first occurs to me off the top of my head ...oh, and not to forget
one of my personal favorites, a mosaic in marble from Afghanistan that was a
gift to President Eisenhower.  These are just *some* of the treasures of the
Smithsonian and therefore of the United States. History, art, and science do
not just occur within our borders, the U.S. doesn't exist in isolation (as
recent events have once again reminded us), and the Smithsonian collects,
studies, and exhibits interesting artifacts and "stories" from all over the
world.  The most recent Smithsonian Folklife Festival had a theme of the
Silk Road and was one of the most successful ever.

And, as an aside,
Jack Ewers ... an amazing man. It was a privilege to have even been casually
acquainted with him. He is missed at the Smithsonian.
(Hi yourself, Tom)