From:
"Stuckle, Danielle L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 2015 16:34:54 +0000
A lot of "friends" groups are organized to be the 501(c)3 organization that can raise funds for a museum or library that is managed through a local government entity. They serve as a fundraising partner. There is a wealth of books and online resources about how to start a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.   If you want to start something like this without organizing a separate entity, I would look at what official legal operating structure your museum currently has, and whether or not the current organization has plans to organize as a non-profit managed by a board of directors--then there would be no need for a separate group.  However, if you are going to be managed as part of a local government entity, then you might need a friends group.

Here is the IRS information about the life cycle of a non-profit and how to start one:  http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Private-Foundations/Life-Cycle-of-a-Private-Foundation-Starting-Out

BoardSource is a also a great resource for running a non-profit:  https://www.boardsource.org/eweb/

The American Alliance of Museums has some really good info on starting a museum that I think would be helpful for you, especially the core documents section:

http://www.aam-us.org/resources/assessment-programs/core-documents

And last, but not least, I highly recommend the StEPs program through the American Association for State and Local History: http://tools.aaslh.org/steps/.  A primary/major point of the program is for board members, staff, and volunteers to work together through a self-directed assessment to move an organization toward a sustainable model and eventually accreditation.  It's much more effective than a strategic plan.

Good luck,

--Dani

Danielle “Dani” Stuckle

Educational Programs and Outreach Coordinator

State Historical Society of North Dakota

North Dakota Heritage Center

612 East Boulevard Avenue

Bismarck, North Dakota 58505-0830

(701) 328-2794 (P)

(701) 328-3710 (F)

www.history.nd.gov

--To identify, preserve, interpret, and promote the heritage of North Dakota and its people.