From:
"R. Morrison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:01:37 -0800
'everyone was essentially part of the
social system that kept slavery intact long after it had been abolished in
the
rest of the "civilized" world'

I have been reading this line with interest--the above statement, however,
is too general.  True, slavery was not just in the south (much worse there
of course), but a lot of folks fought very hard against slavery (white men
and women among them), and still get very little credit.  We only really
know the authors famous for fighting slavery like Thoreau and Whitman, but
the other thousands, who put their lives on the line just as freedom
fighters did in Birmingham  a hundred years later, are discounted.  It was
never 'everybody'--It was the men who had the power to make laws which has
always been a privileged elite few.  The population of this country was all
over the place on the slavery issue, and often young men who did not believe
in slavery (on either side) still fought for their country, as they have had
to in all of our wars.

Also--characterizing women in Civil War times as having anything close to
the power men had re: slaves or anything else is not accurate.  I have
looked through my family tree, and the rainbow therein, and see straightaway
that the few remaining journals of literate "rich" woman who wrote about
that time were very much telling the truth!  Their main concern, cliché or
not, was blocking visits, if they were at all able, from their menfolk to
the slave quarters.  I have not read one account by a woman from that time
who did not have that concern very much on her mind.

I find myself irritated at this "white men" thing--we attack feminists,
racists, African American men, Hispanic women--"whoever"--but it was in
fact, like it or not, it was 'White Men' who held the majority of the slaves
and held the power over the slaves.  Some women certainly wielded power with
the household slaves, who always fared better, and could certainly persuade,
hint, lie re: an action or a concern.  As could men.  But in reality, from
all the written accounts I have read, and knowing the history of the time,
women had very little power period, and it was it confined to one or two
areas only.  I don't understand why we have to ignore that fact at this late
juncture.

I agree with Deb that the true stain on America is slavery; I still find the
entire debacle hard to comprehend at times.

Rhonda