From:
Alita Pierson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 11:55:03 -0700
Delicia's post made me smile... so that I must chime in from the other end
of the museum-public relationship and say that I have many fond childhood
memories of some of the museums and living history places near Charleston,
S.C. I grew up in that area, and places such as Charlestown Landing, the
plantations, etc., really sparked my delighted imagination. This may sound
trite, but it was definitely a privilege to visit such places, and looking
back, I have nothing but kind thoughts and thanks for the dedicated staff
members who made it all possible.

It just occurred to me that perhaps the reason I don't feel quite the same
about museums I've visited in "adulthood" (ouch, does early 20s count as
"adulthood"??) is that I've visited them happily, but "burdened" with
knowledge and experience. As a child, I could look at things with an awe
and a delight that was unhampered by facts and theories. Now, my enjoyment
is alternately tempered and enhanced by formal education/life/the universe.

I apologize for rambling on here.... the previous post about the little boy
at the Victorian Christmas house really did send me pleasant memories about
my own childhood experiences in museums and such. Thank you for sharing!

Cheers,
Alita Pierson
MLIS Student
U. of Wash.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public."
---Theodore Roosevelt (President, United States)