From:
Guillaume Evrard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 04:45:03 -0400
I am currently completing a Master of Art in Museum Studies at the
University of Leicester (UK).
Here is a short report about my experience with professional museum
organisations.
During the registration week, in September, a package from the British
Museums Association (MA) has been included in the welcome pack, with the
last issue of the Museums Journal, the code of ethics published by the MA
and a leaflet to join the MA with concession rates. A MA representative
also delivered a course about continuing professional development and the
possibilities offered by the MA for CPD.
We have been told about the ICOM during the introductory lectures to give
us the big picture of the professional museum world. We have been
encouraged to browse the ICOM website to find interesting resources. And a
teaching staff member told us about the ICOM conference in Korea because
she took part in.
Some students have subscribed to the MA. I don't know if any of us has
subscribed to the ICOM.

Probably we don't see the objectives and aims of the ICOM or they may seem
too far from day-to-day concerns while still studying and afterwards, when
beginning in a museum position.

The way young members could interact is also crucial: international
conferences may not be affordable for museum professionals, and especially
for young museum professionals.

While the British national agenda stresses the importance of the Internet
to reach the widest audience possible, it seems it could play a
significant role to involve - new - young ICOM members in the
organisation's life.

To conclude this little report - hopefully useful, the creation of ICOM
youth groups sounds very relevant, to develop reflection, good practice
and foster interpersonal professional relationships and networks, right
from the beginning of a career.

Best regards.

Guillaume Evrard