From:
Doug Swain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:52:26 -0500
It is automatically copyrighted if you wrote it. Copyrights and trademarks
are different. You do not have to register either, but you can register
both. If you put TM, it is sort of a placeholder declaring that you intend
to register the trademark. The difference is when it gets to court the rules
are different if it is registered. Your case is easier if you have
documentation and can prove when the work was created and how. It does
matter if it was for a job you were paid to do. In court, if you had
registered the mark, or copyright in the US you can recover a greater amount
easier.

Here is a useful link that is more organized than I :
http://www.mapnp.org/library/legal/ntlcl_pr/ntlcl_pr.htm