From:
Bill Snead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:49:14 -0400
Kathleen,

If the display is constructed in a way that illutrates clearly, and is
apparent to all who see it, that this is indeed a glass plate, then there
is some merit in the request, as it would demonstrate the evolution of
imaging in the medical sciences.

If it ends up only showing the x-ray image itself, then a film
surrogate/copy will do, and would not risk the original.

Even intermittant exposure to a light source will eventually fade the
silver image, but you can try to use flourescent back illumination (rather
than projection) to eliminate the heat problem with incandescent lamps,
and float the plate loosley between UV filtering acrylic, and pick a plate
that is either duplicated by another plate in the collection, or is
expendible in some other way.  Using a button or motion sensor to start a
timed illumination would also help limit exposure.

Otherwise, your fears are indeed founded.  The plate will eventually be
lost being exposed the way you say.  Propose to them a compromise using a
surrogate or replication plate for projection and demonstration.

William Snead
Duke University

"Britton, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
04/27/2005 11:21 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Display of glass plate xrays

Good morning all -
I work at a medical museum/archives that is part of a hospital. As a
result, we do collaborative exhibits from time to time with hospital
departments. Our next one is with the radiology department - basically
showing the development of the process from my understanding (the meeting
about it is next Tuesday).
As part of the exhibit, the docs would like to display at least one
constantly lit glass plate/lantern slide xray. I have no idea as yet if it
would be direct or indirect lighting and how the xray would be supported
within the exhibit. Needless to say, this whole idea makes me very
nervous. My thinking is that the constant exposure to light would not be
good for the xray, not to mention the effect the heat of the case/light
combo and support methods on the plate's emulsion. Does these sound like
reasonable objections and can anyone give any others that I can take to
the docs on Tuesday?
Many thanks!
Kathleen
Kathleen Emerson Britton
Curator of Collections and Education
Baker-Cederberg Museum and Archives

are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it
from your system.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses.

Thank You,
Viahealth
Subscriber Information:
The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).
[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read