From:
Bethany Rutledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:41:10 -0700
Candace, I'll trade my problem for your problem!
Pretty please!!! :)

I've had 48 hours to think about the situation now and
have come to a few conclusions. First of all, I'm
going to need to finish processing the collection and
find out exactly how much of this stuff we're dealing
with.

My boss/the Board will have the final decision on what
happens next, but I agree with most of you who have
spoken up that the slides should not be destroyed. On
the off chance that one of these children was actually
molested and sues the one of the schools that this man
was associated with, everybody in town knows our
organization holds this man's slide collection. They
could very easily be subpoenaed and if we'd destroyed
them...

One of the possible solutions I'd come up with was
classifying these slides and keeping them until such a
date as these children are deceased, then destroying
them. However, the children (they'd actually be women
in their late 30s, early 40s now) have rights here.
Would I want a photo of myself sitting in some museum
storage cabinet somewhere without my knowledge?

There definitely has to be some sort of report written
up about what was found and filed with the accession
records. One of the many problems that has come up
here is that I've made good use of other slides in
this collection over the years in exhibits, etc. Now
I'm just creeped out. Now we've got a collection that
I once considered stellar that now seems tainted. Will
every one of my successors feel this way about this
collection once they read of this man's pedophilia? Do
I have the right to permanently mark the record of a
man who can't speak up to defend himself?

Ick!

I'll take gay fraktur anyday!!!

Bethany Rutledge