From:
Margaret Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:05:55 -0400
YES, there are valid points to be made re: legality, liability, etc., and we should be careful about not positioning ourselves to be in hot water as a result of any one of the scenarios that colleagues have posted about. However, we should also think about how we can be open and accessible to our publics in appropriate ways. If we do implement age policies, it's important to think about the way in which we communicate this message. How can we do this without making people feel unwelcome? Perhaps it's something child-friendly, like "Museums are more fun when you share them with someone else. When you visit, we ask that you bring a grown-up friend with you so that you can explore together." This might not work for all, but maybe it's a way to start thinking about those on the receiving end.

But I'd also like to encourage us to think about the broader issue here--that of inclusivity. Several posters have described testified that their exposure to museums being a reason for their love of the field today. That's great, but what if they had not gone to museums that were so welcoming? (I know...different time, different expectations today.) But still, the ability to feel a part of a museum at such a young age was an important component to those individuals' personal, and ultimately professional, development. But you also have kids being dropped off by a parent/guardian in what might be perceived as "free daycare." I'd venture to say that those latter kids are perhaps the very ones who might benefit most from a welcoming museum environment. Imagine what it's like from a kid's perspective to be dropped off somewhere and left to their own devices for the day. Not only are you left without a parent, but then you're told by the museum staff that you're not welcome. Geez. That's definitely not a way to cultivate interest and love of our organizations in young people.

I'm not offering a solution to the question at hand (i.e., what age is ok), but I am advocating for us to think about how we can be more inclusive to more people, more regularly--not just the kids themselves, but also their families. If it seems like parents are looking for "free daycare," is there a way to offer low- or no-cost programs that could benefit the children of parents who have to work? If you're finding there are young people already interested in museums who want to "drop-in" on their own, can we figure out ways to offer such opportunities, like a tour, run by a docent/staff member trained in child care, that would also require parents to sign kids in and out? Something similar maybe to a camp, which many museums run, but offered more regularly and perhaps not over the course of a day. Perhaps if we look at this from a broader perspective of who we are seeking to serve, and how best we can do that, we might accomplish something larger than setting a fixed age of entry.

Best,

Margaret