Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:23:49 +1300
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I'm just always delighted with the content, and therefore save it for
my Friday lunch reading. I have learned much, enjoyed much, and continue to
do so. Thanks so very much for this wonderful addition to my week(s). By the
way - IMPOSSIBLE to choose a category of greatest use/interest" - User
Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Museum unconvinced by new Van Gogh death theory
Two American authors believe Vincent van Gogh was fatally shot by two
teenagers and did not die from self-inflicted wounds, but the new theory won
a skeptical reception Monday from experts at the museum dedicated to the
19th century Dutch master

**  Technoseum offers interactive explanations of how things work
Formerly known as the Landesmuseum für Technik und Arbeit, the museum boasts
about 9,000 square meters of technological exhibitions on five floors

**  Why museums matter
The great London museums, especially the Science Museum, were places of
wonder; I was greatly troubled by a human skeleton that I saw in Norwich
Castle Museum, which came and lay under my bed (every time I bent down to
see if it was really there, it climbed on top so I never managed to see it,
but I knew it was there all right); and at the age of about eight I began to
assemble a museum of my own

****  HAPPY TRAVELLERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2011 / 2012! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations. Interactive Map
with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser - Airfares, Car
Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and  Cruises!  Provider
is EXPEDIA, a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Traditional Korean furniture embraces lifestyles
The Korea Furniture Museum has evolved from the traditional concept of a
museum by displaying their collection in hanok buildings to show the objects'
real functions rather than trap them in glass boxes

**  Tiny fossil fragment reveals giant-but-ugly-truth
What this research shows is that some toothed pterosaurs reached truly
spectacular sizes and, for now, it allows us to put a likely upper limit on
that size - around 7 metres in wingspan

**  Army museum's morbid oddities resettled
The bullet that killed Abraham Lincoln is mounted under glass, like a
diamond in a snow globe, in its new home at the National Museum of Health
and Medicine

**  Galleries cost up to £44 a visitor
Years late and millions of pounds over budget - it sounds like a description
of a government IT project or delayed defence contract - but no, today marks
the opening of the Firstsite arts centre in Colchester, the latest in a
swathe of regional arts centres to have been created with Arts Council
lottery grants

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 306?
New LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make
Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 400 members.  Join Today At
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  The well-dressed Ottoman gentleman
This week, the Pera Museum opened an exhibition of paintings concerning
Turkish and foreign ambassadors, and the works show how these gentlemen
dressed on various occasions

**  Recasting Goya, the bloodiest of Old Masters
The graphic engravings, which depict execution, rape, dismemberment, famine
and resistance, were never published during Goya's lifetime: They were
released by the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Madrid in 1863 and exist in
several posthumous editions

**  The Real Master & Commander
The nineteenth century naval hero who was well known to Napoleon, praised by
Sir Walter Scott, and envied by Lord Byron has been largely forgotten by
history

**  No treasure in archaeologists' vaults
Archaeologists are still protesting at the front entrances of archaeological
sites, and archaeological work is at a stalemate despite the appointment of
a new head to hold Egypt's antiquities portfolio

TWEET TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter!   http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
58,688 News Tweets, 2,206 Followers worldwide and growing fast

**  Landmark museum building opens in Armenia
A landmark new building has opened at the Armenian museum for ancient
manuscripts in the capital Yerevan, one of the largest collections of
historically important documents in the world

**  Is Jewish Museum Boom Good?
Enormous Jewish resources have gone into creating these institutions, and
much more is required for their upkeep; even so, the empty, echoing
corridors of so many Jewish museums suggest that the audience for such
exhibits is likely to be limited

**  Archaeologists discover 100,000-year-old art studio
In the cave, the archaeologists found two shells full of pigment, which was
made from ochre, a kind of grindable stone rich in iron compounds that
usually give the ancient paints red or yellow hues

**  Preserving The Past At Europe's Folk Museums
These days, the easiest (and sometimes only) way to experience traditional
culture is by exploring Europe's great open-air folk museums

Become a FAN -  Join 1,434 of  us who Like Global Museum on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Musée d'Orsay Makes a New Impression
When the Musée d'Orsay unveils its makeover this month visitors will get a
fresh view of the world's richest trove of 19th-century artworks by
Impressionist masters who essentially financed the museum's Euro 20 million
facelift

**  This Week's Horoscopes
Sagittarius - They say you can never step into the same river twice, but
thanks to crocodiles and your refusal to learn how to swim, once is all
you'll need

**  Death Knell Sounds for Amsterdam Tropical Museum
Speaking to public broadcaster NOS, Deputy Foreign Minister Ben Knapen said
that the Tropenmuseum was dear to his heart, but that he could no longer
defend that development money was being spent on a museum in Amsterdam,
rather than abroad in developing countries

**  Museum's manuscript project restores the voice of the great
mathematician Archimedes
Innumerable hours and extraordinary amounts of the budget go to work that is
essential to the mission but mostly invisible to the public: scholarship,
conservation, rehearsal, publication

@@@@  The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered
by your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965

**  A new voyage for maritime museum
The permanent Voyagers exhibition uses AV installations, text, objects and
personal narrative to evoke the historic and contemporary relevance of the
sea and maritime heritage

**  African Rodents Invaded Brazil 41 Million Years Ago
These rodents were not only the oldest ones in South America, due to their
age, but also they were really African-like, so we could consider them as
the earliest caviomorph rodent

**  Immerse Yourself
The Colorado-Wyoming Association of Museums (CWAM) Program Committee invites
you to share your ideas, knowledge, and experience with our membership by
presenting at the 2012 Annual Meeting in Dubois, Wyoming.

**  It's a Tasty World - Food Science Now!
The Hong Kong Science Museum at 2 Science Museum Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East.

**  War Museum plans major exhibition for War of 1812 bicentennial
The Canadian War Museum will mark the bicentennial of the War of 1812 - a
momentous event in Canadian history - with one of the largest and most
innovative exhibitions it has ever produced.

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their
RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social Network,
Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

BLOG READERS  & MUSEUM WEB SITES - Use our  RSS news feed on your site, from
this address: http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml