Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:32:58 -0500
I would:

Start with the New Orleans Museum of Art, of course.  It's in City Park and
an easy bus or cab ride from the French Quarter.  American, European, Native
American, Asian, African, decorative arts, it'll keep you busy for an
afternoon, and save time for the gift shop.  I'd skip the cafe and go down
Esplanade Avenue to Cafe Degas, or down Carrollton to Fellini's or the
Mediterranean Cafe for lunch.

For galleries, go to Julia St. in the Warehouse District.  The satellite
gallery for the (not yet open) Ogden Museum of Southern Art is on Julia, and
nearby is the Contemporary Arts Center.  The best house museum is the
Gallier House, in the 1100 block of Royal St. in the Quarter.  The Voodoo
Museum is definitely worth a visit if you have time; it too is in the
Quarter.

By the way, the Confederate Museum is now closed; the building is slated to
be part of the Ogden Museum.  I'm not sure what has happened to the
collection.

Check out www.gambitweekly.com for good info on what's happening in museums,
galleries, and around town.
There is also a kiosk near Cafe Du Monde (on the river, near Jackson Square
and St. Louis Cathedral) with tons of tourist information and brochures.

If you decide to take a plantation tour, ask whether they actually *stop* at
the plantations; some buses just sort of whiz past them and it's hardly
worth the time and trouble.  I would say the best plantation to visit is
Laura Plantation, which is probably less than an hour's drive on River Road.
It's still got dozens of outbuildings and has the best authentically
historical tour.  It's still being renovated so it's not pristine, but I
think that makes it even more interesting.

If a guy on the street says he bets he knows where you got your shoes, tell
him you got your shoes on your feet in New Orleans, Louisiana, or just keep
moving.   Don't take the bet unless you feel like handing him some cash.

Any other questions, feel free to email me.

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
Laurel, MS
(phone) 601-649-6374