From:
"Meeker, Amanda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:24:56 -0800
We have two Pepper's ghosts at our museum - a Chinese herbalist and a John
Muir ghost.  The effect is created just as some others have already
explained - there is an image reflected off a 45 degree sheet of glass.  In
our case, the source is a 56" rear-screen projection television that is
mounted facing down at ceiling level, out of sight of the visitor. (In one,
it's outside the window of a cabin; in the other, it's behind a counter &
cabinets.)  The image, which is mirror-image inverted, then projects off the
sheet of glass toward the visitor.  The visitor has to be kept back a
certain distance in order for the illusion to work properly, which is
achieved in one case by a bar partition, and in the other by the counter.

We have found our ghosts to be quite popular - I enjoy hearing kids run over
to their classmates or parents to tell them about the "ghost."  It's a
pretty simple technology, and we haven't had any problems, except that one
of the televisions did break down and had to be replaced (it was still under
warranty, thank goodness!)

is (I could be wrong) that in the 19th century, there was a magician by the
name of Pepper who pioneered this technique in his magic shows.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more detail.

Amanda Meeker
Golden State Museum
1020 O Street
Sacramento CA 95814