From:
Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 09:15:11 -0700
Having been on both sides of the interviewing table, I think it is a good
idea for you as a candidate to come to an interview prepared to ask
questions. It can show interest, thoughtfulness, and that you have done your
homework on the museum. Unasked, they won't likely offer to tell you if the
museum is having major funding, staff or Board problems, but if you ask good
questions, you will likely get illuminating answers (or awkward avoidances
of answers). It may be a bit like asking a potential sex partner if they
have any sexually transmitted diseases - awkward perhaps, but it could be a
life saver.

The answer to the question "Why did the previous incumbent leave?" can help
you decide if you want to jump out the frying pan and into the fire - either
for more money, or prestige, or both.

Interviewers are usually advised to ask questions that cannot be answered
with a simple "Yes", "No" or other one word answer. They will get a much
better idea of a candidate's value if they ask "Why do you think you are
qualified for this job?" than if they asked "Are you qualified for this
job?"

At one interview for the job as Curator of a military museum, the senior
military officers conducting the interview were amazed that I had questions!
As I recall, one Colonel said "YOU, have questions for us?!" I was the
successful candidate but had to decline the job as they would not budge on
the salary issue. The job was most interesting, and in my field of
expertise, but I would have had to take a big drop in salary.

Remember, when you go into the job interview you do not have the job - so
you have NOTHING TO LOSE! If you don't get the job, treat it as a learning
experience. If you do get the job, its a bonus!

I also found that the old saying is true: it is easier to get a job if you
have a job.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Curator
Burnaby Village Museum
City of Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Museum web site:
http://www.burnabyparksrec.org/villagemuseum/villagemuseum.html

The opinions expressed above are my own.