From:
Collections Dude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 17:09:27 -0600
Here are the responses I recieved concerning my post on Natural
Science internships in Museums.  Thanks to all.

Terry Vidal
University of Northern Iowa Museum

SMITHSONIAN

The intern coordinator at the Smithsonian's National Museum of
Natural History is: Magda Schremp, Smithsonian Institution,
National Museum of Natural History, MRC 158, Washington, DC 20560,
202/357-3045. I don'tknow if she is on e-mail.

NORTH CAROLINA MUSEUM OF LIFE AND SCIENCE

The North Carolina Museum of Life and Science ususaully has 1 or
2 summer internships involved in teaching museum classes for
children Have them send their resume and letter of interes to :
Education Dept Museum of Life and Science P.O. 15190 Durham, NC
27704

RANCHO SANTA ANA BOTANIC GARDEN

Last year, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden participated in a Getty
Trust funded internship program for museums in Los Angeles County.
It went well and I would expect that we might have as many as 3
such internships available in the summer of 1995 (depending on the
outcome of our next grant proposal to the Trust).  The recipients
(the students, that is) must also be residents of Los Angeles
County, so our ability to host interns from other parts of the
country is limited.  Also, we are sometimes able to arrange
internships for students by helping to provide course credit in
lieu of money.

Anyone interested can contact me and I will put their
names/addresses in my file and send internship information next
spring.

-Richard Chute

ASTC

The ASTC Job Bank is a FREE source of posting internships.  If you
would like us to include this information, just send me a summary
of what you are looking for along with a contact name, address,
(email, fax, etc.)

Barbara Brock
Administrator, Human Resources & Operations Manager
ASTC

AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY

Try the National Museum of American History.  This past summer we
had over 100 interns in almost every department, doing just about
everything. (although there have been staff cutbacks, I don't
think it will affect the program). For more info contact:

          Mary Dyer
          Coordinator of Internships and Fellowships
          National Museum of American History
          14th Street and Constitution Ave, NW
          Room 1040, MRC 605
          Washington, DC 20560
          (202) 357-1606

FIELD MUSEUM

The Field Museum does have summer internships in the
natural science departments (botany, zoology and geology),
but I'm not sure of the details (sorry, I work in anthropology).
You can contact Towanda Simmons in the Vice President for
Academic Affairs office at 312 922-9410, ext 559 for more
information.

MAINE ASSOCIATION OF MUSEUMS

The Maine Association of Museums would like to sponsor an intership
in some aspect of museum outreach in 1995.  At this point, the
program is not formalized, so arrangements can be tailored
according to a mix of the skills of the intern and the needs of
Maine's museums.  The intern would be working at least in part with
me in the Cultural Resources Information Center, a collaborative
outreach office based in the Maine State Libary/Museum/Archives
Building.  Funding is negotiable, but at this time no salary is
guaranteed--anybody come with program funds, equivalent course
credits, or want grant writing experience?  Please contact me at
some form of the address below if you would like to explore this
possibility.
--Julia Hunter, Manager, Cultural Resources Information Center
Maine State Museum, State House Station #83, Augusta, ME 04333-0083
(207) 287-5794

GROUT MUSEUM

The Grout Museum in Waterloo Iowa is tentatively sponsoring an
intership position for 1995.  They are seeking a student of geolgy
and collections management to organize and evaluate their rock and
mineral collection.  A strong back ground in petrology and
minerology will be necessary. Contact: Carolyn Carpenter, 503 South
St., Waterloo, Ia. 50701, (319)234-6357.