From:
Roy Hemmat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 04:05:44 -0700
Hey there George!

Here's a longtime webmasters perspective:

(1) - In general .. you'll either need to have an established site OR be able to
offer compelling promise of traffic and visibility to make paid link placement an
attractive offer for businesses. - And then you'll be competing against other proven
paid promotion methods. - It's a huge subject that I'd rather not get into right
now.

(2) - However .. Museums (and Halls of Fame .. and non-profits in general) .. have
an interesting and somewhat unique .. ability to offer sponsorship for online media
.. this could either be offered as an add-on to a "real" exhibit sponsorship .. or
as a stand-alone for web-only products. - For example, an online gallery of Skating
Greats could be "sponsored" by .. um, trying to think of a likely manufacturer ..
well, I'm drawing a blank .. "some" skating or sports related entity. - I'd imagine
the ability to offer the tax benefits for underwriting the project may have the
added benefit of being UBIT-free .. since it relates to your mission? - Wow I could
be wrong there, but there you go. - My pearls of wisdom formed at 4 AM ;-)

--
Roy Hemmat
Director, Discovery Media

** 1000's of museums and educational links
now available through our award-winning gateway