From:
Vera Uyehara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:12:18 +0000
Olivia:  Thanks for your indirect response last August to my query for
panelists
for the AAM proposal.  AAM did not accept the proposal, but I believe
it's a GREAT proposal, and will make a fantastic session.  We want to
propose it to ASTC for next year in Tampa, Fla.  I was interested in
your comments about the challenges of using robots as "robodocents".  Do
you know of any museum that might know of these pitfalls first hand?
Although our robotics panel doesn't fit
precisely into the annual themes for ASTC, nonetheless, "audience
development" is
always of interest.  Below is a synopsis of the purpose of the session.

"Museums are critical public access point for new ideas and
technologies, and drawing in new audiences is always a concern.  Public
interaction with robots provides hand-on excitement and learning
opportunities for visitors of all ages.  From a personalized robotic
tour of a contemporary art museum, to a robotic instructor at a science
center, robotic staff members and exhibits draw in new visitors and
point museums to the future.  In addition, control of museum based
robots via the Internet by distant audiences takes museum exhibits
across the globe."

This topic is important because:
1.      It provides an example of an innovative technology that expands
and
reinforces connections among audiences and broader communities.
2.      It shows how a willingness to investigate the use of leading
edge
technologies is critically important to the future of museums.
3.      It reinforces an understanding of the public fascination with
robots.
4.      It explores opportunities to expand museum reach using
interactive
robots over the internet.

Attendees will learn or be able to:
1.      Learn about a variety of robotic applications in museums.
2.      Learn about the pros and cons of setting up and operating a
robotics
exhibit.
3.      How to use a robot to draw audiences into any museum.
4.      Possible collaboration models to design and fund museum robotics
exhibits.

The ASTC proposal deadline is December 11. Please let
me know ASAP if you know of anyone who might be interested!  Many
thanks.  V

--

Vera L.Y. Uyehara               [log in to unmask]
Executive Director