From:
"Martin, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2016 15:45:10 +0000
The Virginia Living Museum has one that sounds like what you are looking for... http://thevlm.org/lets-bee-friends/

And also the Liberty Science Center:  http://lsc.org/see-whats-happening/current-exhibitions-and-experiences/bees/

Lisa S. Martin

Senior Program Manager

Reynolds Homestead / Virginia Tech

276-694-7181 x 22

www.reynoldshomestead.vt.edu

-----Original Message-----

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George Harris

Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:44 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Gun Storage and Cataloging

Hello,

There has been some discussion of having a bee colony at our natural

history museum and I've been tasked with finding out more about how it

might affect the collections.  Of course, when I first heard the idea, I

didn't like it in terms of collections management.  So, I'm wondering what

others think.  The idea is to have a colony that visitors can see from

inside the building and the bees would have a tube/tunnel so they could

access the outside.  I know there are a few other museums that do this,

but I'm not sure they have permanent collections to preserve.  It seems

like it might be alright if we take extra precautions to keep them

confined to their hive area.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of other museums with bee colonies that I might talk

with, recommendations would be great!

Thank you.

Beau Harris

Collections Manager

Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium

St. Johnsbury, VT

On Thu, May 26, 2016 5:42 pm, Katie Burke wrote:

> At our museum, we catalogue them as a and b. That way they are catalogued

>  as separate items for conservation purposes but are still connected to

> one another.

> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM, leonard cicero

> wrote:

>> I would separate them both for storage  and numbering.  For

>> accessioning you may want to add an A and B to the end of the same

>> accession #.  Since they are of different materials though they will age

>> differently and should be kept apart.

>> Leonard M Cicero

>> registrar John Michael Kohler Art Center

>> Sheboygan, WI 53081

>> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Jakob Etrheim <

>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> Just a quick question concerning gun storage and cataloging. We

>>> recently had a H&A and Colt 32-caliber revolvers from the early 1900s

>>> donated to our museum; each came with their own leather hostlers.

>>> Would you catalog the

>>> holster with the gun or make them two separate items? Also, for

>>> storage, would you recommend packaging the gun with the holster or

>>> take the revolvers out and package them each separately? Appreciate

>>> the help!

>>> Thanks,

>>> *Jakob H. Etrheim *(Eh-T-CH-ruh-m)

>>> Collections Assistant

>>> Kandiyohi County Historical Society Museum

>>> 610 HWY 71 NE

>>> http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-HOME.exe?SUBED1=MUSEUM-L&A=1