From:
Wendy Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 14:14:25 -0400
Emily Nedell wrote asking for a reference on UV radiation and halogen lamps
earlier today.  I suspect that this was partially in reference to my posting
from 5/15 in which I discussed UV filtration, UV monitoring and the need to
filter halogen lamps.

Halogen lamps are becoming the lamp of choice for many museums because of the
amount of light that is provided for the cost.  So I don't think we will be
able to eliminate their use.  But they can be used wisely.  Since they are
rich in UV and give off a lot of light, they should be filtered.  The best
reference that I have found so far in the conservation literature is a book
by May Cassar, of the Museums & Galleries Commission of the UK and  entitled
"Environmental Management  Guidelines for Museums and Galleries" published by
Routledge 1995.  There is datasheet in the back of the book that discusses
lamp characteristics and cites the need to shield against UV.

Good luck!

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.